Life Around the Livingstons

Next to the Farm

My previous adventure covered the history of Locust Grove (Once a Farm), and I was curious to explore just how far back the story stemmed. Even before the sale of the Livingston farm into plots, another partial owner comes into play by the name of Smith Thompson (1768-1843), who had purchased 133 acres from the Mitchell family, who later married into the Livingstons (Hence, "Livingston Farm" as it is remembered). Smith was a Associate Justice, Chief Justice (Under President Monroe), and husband of Sarah Livingston (Of the same Livingston Farm). His land eventually became part of the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery, after his passing (Ref - http://www.henrylivingston.com/bios/smiththompson.htm). Based on this, my new quest has begun!

Smith Thompson

I visited the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery today, despite the rain, in the hopes of beginning to search for any remains of his estate. I know that he was buried on the same land, which would indicate that at least something should remain from his day. My best lead is that Smith's home was near a stream called "Rust Plaetz Kill" (Pronounced Roost Plawts Kill), using the Dutch words for "Resting" and "Place". Chances are if I can find this stream, I'll be in the same vicinity as his home.



This is me, fearlessly exploring!

I was only able to explore for about twenty minutes today, before being chased away by the increasing rain. I will continue on this topic, as weather and details become clear.

To see all my adventures to the present, please see my growing Flickr feed - https://www.flickr.com/photos/129003675@N04/with/16409419312/
Thank you for continuing this journey with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RAW Images and Paint.NET

It's OK to Feel Deflated

Where to Find Content Creator Tools and Resources