Oh Smith, Where Have You Gone?

I returned to the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery today, focused on searching for former Chief Justice Smith Thompson's residence. To learn the known background, please refer to my previous post (Life Around the Livingstons). Same as last weekend, I found a parking space around the mausoleum and worked my way across the grounds, searching for clues (I even pulled up the Google satellite view on my iPhone to locate streams). Oddly, nothing obvious appeared. Undeterred, I pressed on through snow and ice until I reached a corner, right up against the railway system and the Hudson River. I continued forward, surmising that I should stumble on it, as the cemetery is largely elevated, indicating that a stream would have to cross under the train tracks into the Hudson. Before too long, the sound of running water became clear, and I found a very likely candidate for the Thompson residence. Interestingly, it appears that it is still an occupied home, on cemetery grounds (Smoke was puffing form the chimney and a grill was out back). The location and stream that seems to "cut" from the underground through the plot into the Hudson both fit the description, and warrants some additional research. It does look promising!





I'll continue to read on the subject and see where the story takes me. More details will be posted in the weeks ahead!




For the full adventure, please see my Flickr feed - https://www.flickr.com/photos/129003675@N04/
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RAW Images and Paint.NET

It's OK to Feel Deflated

Where to Find Content Creator Tools and Resources